Intrigued by 3D printing, but don’t know where to start? Then join MadLab for this free 3-hour workshop covering all the basics you’ll need to get going.
You’ll get a chance to get hands-on with 3D printing and design, including designing a 3D model, preparing a 3D file for printing, and watching a live demonstration of a 3D print being created on the Ultimaker 2+.
Plus participants will also receive a free three-month basic membership to MadFabLab, an accredited FabLab packed with 3D printers – plus laser cutters, bench tools, mini CNC machine and more – worth £90!
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all abilities. We welcome beginners with no previous experience of 3D printing
What will you learn?
- Introduction to 3D printing technologies, and types of printers (Consumer and Pro)
- Learn more about what 3D printers are used for – both in industry and for fun!
- Understand different materials and their properties
- Get best practice design tips and techniques for the Ultimaker 2+
- Hands-on Introduction to 3D-modeling software with Tinkercad
- Uploading and 3D-printing your design; Introduction to Curaslicing software
- A demonstration of a 3D print coming to life on the Ultimaker 2+
- Overview of 3D-design and modelling, including some 3D design software alternatives (both free and paid, e.g. Pro: Autodesk Fusion 360, AutoCAD / Free: Sketchup, OpenSCAD, Meshmixer)
- Next steps, and where to go for more information
Equipment you’ll need
A few laptops/PC’s will be available on the day, but we recommend you bring your own laptop if you have one (remember to fully charge it!).
Following the workshop you can stay and continue your own self-directed learning on Tinkercad as the MadLab expert facilitators will be on-hand for a 90 minute drop-in 3D Print Technical Surgery. Providing advice and guidance (both general and specific), on a range of topics – from getting started, buying a first 3D printer, through to more business-facing challenges. They can offer specific guidance on part design, material choice, or finding the best suppliers for small-batch fabrication. If you would like the facilitators to look at a specific design or prototyping problem please bring it along with you.
Manchester Digital Laboratory (MadLab) is a grassroots innovation organisation, based in Manchester UK. Their primary areas of focus are science and technology; arts and culture and they support a diverse range of communities and activities. MadFabLab is an open-access workshop for Manchester’s hackers, makers, and tinkerers – whether actively curious, seasoned anti-disciplinarian, or any/all points in between – providing shared tools and space to create amazing new things, play and experiment with new technology, and meet and collaborate with others.