Creative and business information and inspiration at the annual event for the UK animation community in the North.
Curated by the Manchester based Manimation Working Group and organised by The Children’s Media Conference, Manimation is designed to present business and creative inspiration sessions for the region’s animation community under the banner of Manimation.
Manimation is designed to inform companies and freelancers about key factors for success in working in animation, visual FX, commercials, corporate, interactive, games, apps and virtual reality. Speakers include broadcasters, commissioners, buyers and animation experts.
What’s included in my Manimation Pass?
- Manimation keynotes, panels and showcases
- Lunch and break-time tea and coffee
- Afternoon one-to-ones: the opportunity to meet many of the speakers and other delegates in one-to-one meetings which can by booked by registered delegates on the day
- Delegates’ networking drinks
Speakers include broadcasters, commissioners, buyers and animation experts.
The Manimation Keynote will be given by Tom Van Waveren, CEO and Creative Director at CAKE, one of the world’s leading independent entertainment companies, specialising in the production, distribution, development, financing and brand development of kids’ and and family properties. Tom is also the Chair of Animation Producers Netherlands and Vice Chair of Animation Europe, which has recently secured major support for the animation sector from the EU. Tom will talk about the challenges faced by the European animation industry as a whole and why tackling these jointly is the best way forward for all, regardless of Brexit.
Panels on the day included:
- Manimation Keynote from Cat Lewis, CEO, Nine Lives Media.
- Brave New Worlds Will VR ‘eat’ traditional media? With Aardman’s David Sproxton member of the BAFTA VR Advisory Board. Aardman recently moved into VR working with Google Spotlight on the 360° short ‘Special Delivery’ and collaborating with the BBC on the VR/CGI short ‘We Wait’. Moderated by Simon Smith (Studio Liddell) and featuring Ben Mills (Desk Dragons) and Nick Pittom (Fire Panda).
- Creative Snapshot with the BBC Commissioning executives included Sarah Legg (CBeebies), Jo Allen (CBBC) and Tim Searle (CBBC). Moderated by Westley Wood (CITV).
- Fund and Flow Speakers included Erica Darby (Spider Eye), Tim Patterson (Larkshead Media) and Chris Halliday, (BFI).
- One-to-one meetings The time to meet many of the speakers in one-to-one meetings was bookable on the day. This was your opportunity to meet legal and finance experts and get free and valuable advice, as well as meet commissioners.
- Realtime VR Storytelling – Heading for the Holodeck with Nick Pittom (Fire Panda).
- North by North West Showcase presented by Jonathan Ashworth (Creative Director, Mighty Giant).
- Training and Development: New Initiatives, New Entrants Discover how your company can access training funding and how the animation levy is being refined for 2017. Speakers included Abigail Fairhurst (Brown Bag Films); Adrian Healy (Director of Business Development, The Manchester Growth Company); Steve Swanborough (Freelance); Praveen Zacharias (Brown Bag Films).
- Animation UK Update with Oli Hyatt (Blue-Zoo Animation).
- PLUS Presentations from BAFTA Award nominee Kath Shackleton (Fettle Animation) and the latest research on kids’ viewing habits from Fiona Scott (University of Sheffield).
By signing up to Manimation, you agree to the transfer of personal information between The Children’s Media Conference Limited and Skills Funding Agency/Creative Skillset for their records.