Take your WordPress site to the next level!
Over the course of two days you’ll dig deep into theme customisation and learn how to make your site work perfectly on mobile devices. You’ll begin to unleash the full potential of the platform: from search engine optimisation (SEO) to security, caching to e-commerce.
Who is this course for?
The course is aimed at those who’ve already got to grips with WordPress. You don’t need any programming experience, but a little CSS knowledge is useful. If you want to work on an existing WordPress site you are more than welcome, but we will provide a pre-installed site for up to a month for all attendees.
This course starts at 10:00am and finishes at 4:30pm. Lunch is served at 12:30pm.
- Introduction To WordPress: What is WordPress? A little history
- Recap of the WordPress basics: Posts, pages and all that jazz
- Settings in depth: More ways to configure your site
- Advanced posts and pages: Featured images, the kitchen sink, paging and more
- Exercise: Getting to grips with the WordPress Editor
- The Image Editor: Make your own thumbnails
- Themes, Widgets and Menus in depth: Learning the building blocks
- CSS introduction: An overview and some useful tools
- Pulling it all together: Improving the look of your site
- Exercise: Customising your theme with CSS
- Security: Hosting, plugins and good habits
- Caching: Make your site fly!
- Exercise: Security and caching plugins
- SEO – an overview: The strange art of Search Engine Optimisation
- Anti-spam techniques: Akismet and beyond
- Jetpack in depth: Juicy goodness form WordPress.com
- Exercise: Getting to know Jetpack
- E-commerce – an overview: An intro to selling your stuff
- More useful tools and plugins
- Question and Answer session with Mike
Please note: This course does not teach WordPress development (PHP coding).
Mike is the co-founder of WordPress. He’s also the founder and CEO of WordPress consultancy zed1.com, has a portfolio including prominent government sites, is a published author, technical editor and member of the Usability Professionals Association… but let’s face it, we had you at ‘co-founder of WordPress’.
Equipment you’ll need:
If you don’t have access to a computer please let us know in advance of the course so we can arrange one for you.
The course is £300 (inclusive of VAT). This covers:
- Two days tuition
- Lunch and refreshments on both days
- An electronic copy of the teaching materials
- One month’s free hosting, to test and refine your site (you’re welcome to work on your own site if you prefer)
We have a limited number of bursary places available on this course for a reduced rate of £220. These are open to people who are underemployed, unemployed or full-time students. Please contact us (details below) for more information.